Whether you’re selling your Westchester or Putnam County, NY home next month or in a few years, curb appeal matters. First impressions are important to buyers. The value of your home is essential to your neighbors. You may not be selling, but buyers are not only evaluating the home they want to buy but the neighborhood and their future neighbors.
If you’re managing your curb appeal, you don’t need to spend a lot of money to give your exterior a little spit and polish.
Clean Your Gutters
Gutters aren’t precisely the first thing people think of when increasing curb appeal. Still, they’re a cost-effective method of protecting your home from damage. Gutter cleaning keeps the system working as it should.
Here are four reasons you need to clean your gutters:
- Protect your home from water damage – gutters are designed to whisk water away from your home. When the gutters are blocked from the leaves that drop off the trees in the fall, it creates a path for water to damage your foundation, roof, and ceilings.
- Prevent insects and pests from making a home in yours. Dirty gutters hold stagnant water and debris. Stagnant water is a draw for mosquitoes. Leaves and twigs are material for rats, squirrels, birds, and other pests to make nests.
- Dirty gutters reduce curb appeal when they’re unkempt. Potential buyers will notice that you aren’t caring for your exterior, and they may wonder what else you haven’t done. You get one chance to make that first impression when selling your home. Make sure to take care of the details.
- Gutters protect your roof all year. In the winter, water that sits in your gutters from a lack of cleaning can freeze, which will damage your roof and siding. The added weight from the ice in the gutters can also damage the gutters.
Maintain Gutters to Keep Them in Good Condition
Keeping your gutters clean may not be one of your favorite chores, but it does need to be on your to-do list. Or perhaps your “Honey-Do List.”
Honey Do Men can take care of your gutter cleaning, freeing up your weekend and giving you peace of mind that your house is being maintained.
Wash Your Roof
Most homeowners don’t think about maintaining their roof until they see water damage on the ceiling or lose shingles in a storm. Taking care of your roof lengthens its life span and gives your home some added curb appeal. Your roof takes a lot of abuse from Mother Nature, especially here in Westchester County, NY.
The sun’s UV rays cause deterioration. Rain, snow, ice, and wind can damage your roof. The humidity can cause algae and mold to grow on your roof. You may not be able to see the dirt and grime on your roof, but it’s there. Washing your roof can improve the look of your roof and house without a huge investment. Fortunately, a good washing can remove the grime and dirt that accumulates on your roof.
Instead of replacing your roof before you need to, here’s why you should consider contacting a professional roofing contractor to wash your roof:
- Roof washing is not a DIY project.
- Power washers can damage your roof when they are used without care for the roof. Older roofs may need softer pressure to avoid further damage to the roof.
- Professional roof washing can restore the original color of your roof.
Your home can tell you a lot about your roof. For example, if you’re seeing mold and mildew around your roof, you may have more damage underneath that you can’t see. High energy bills could be due to poor insulation in your roof. Leaks in your ceiling or along the top of the walls could be from roof leaks.
Your home’s roof protects it from multiple threats. Here at Honey Do Men, we offer extensive roofing services, such as roof washing and repairs, to ensure that your home isn’t vulnerable.
Update Your Driveway
Your driveway is more than a place to park your car. If you have kids, you may use your driveway for riding bikes or playing games. Your guests may walk on your driveway to get to your front door. Your driveway is also one of the first things people notice when they come to your home. Your driveway has many functions, so naturally, you also want it to look good.
When to Patch, Resurface, or Replace Your Driveway
It’s not always necessary to fully replace your driveway if it’s not looking its best. If there are only a few cracks, patching is a solution that can fix small cracks to prevent future damage.
Using a concrete or asphalt sealant, you apply the solution to small cracks less than ¼-inch wide. This prevents water from seeping into the cracks, which can cause the concrete to expand when frozen, causing deeper cracks.
Patching can be a DIY project, though it’s always best to leave it to the experts. Still, when you have a lot of cracks covering over one-quarter of the driveway or more, the next best solution is resurfacing.
Professionals scrape off the damaged parts of the driveway and apply new concrete or asphalt. Driveway resurfacing is more expensive than patching, but it is much less expensive than replacing the entire driveway.
If your driveway is older or significantly damaged, replacement may be your best solution. If you have potholes or large cracks, it’s probably the only solution. A driveway contractor can help you determine the most cost-effective solution for your driveway to keep it within your budget.
There’s something special about parking on a clean driveway, but more importantly, a new driveway gives your home better curb appeal. So not only is it safer, it’s more attractive.
We Serve Homeowners in Westchester County, NY & Putnam County, NY
Maintaining a home isn’t an easy task when trying to take care of family and enjoy your time off. The Honey Do Men team offers free quotes for repairs and maintenance, both inside and outside, to keep your home operating at peak performance. Whether you’re planning to sell or not, keeping your curb appeal up will make your home more comfortable. Contact the Honey Do Men team today to get more information on how we can help you take care of your home.